March 30, 2017

Recent Reads

I've loved reading since as long as I can remember.  When I was in the fourth grade I aspired to read 100 books in one school year.  Mission accomplished and then some.  The following year, my teacher, the mother of my closest childhood friend, thought my reading levels were far above so she pushed me to read above and beyond.  She gifting me two books to celebrate entering womanhood: David Copperfield and Jane Eyre.  I loved it, and them.  Jane Eyre especially...misty moors, brooding places, a large manor dripping in mystery.  What's not to love?  I read and read, some fiction, some non-fiction, staying up late into the night just to finish one more chapter.

I enjoyed reading for fun until graduate studies...which killed my love of reading for several years.  I am slowly moving back towards reading (3 years later), but life with littles doesn't always allow for such devoring as it used to.

I've been reading -

Show your Work: Austin Kleon - easy reading, encouraging and inspiring for doing creative work

William Morris by Himself: Designs and Writings - autobiographical look at his life and work

Encyclopedia of Northwest Native Plants for Gardens and Landscapes: Marianne Filbert, Kathleen Robson + Alice Richter - a great reference book for PNW native gardening

Wild at Heart: John Eldridge - giving some insight on a boy/man's heart (helpful for raising James)

Assimilate or Go Home: Thoughts from a failed missionary: D.L. Mayfield - an interesting look at downward mobility + living with refugees to the US,

No comments:

Post a Comment